In its first year of operation, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center already became a major cultural producer and destination. Complemented by the events organized by the Greek National Opera and the National Library of Greece, the SNFCC’s program features music, dance, cinema, theater and performing arts.
Based on the SNFCC’s guiding principles, our programming focuses on providing cultural stimuli and opportunities for entertainment and learning to people of all ages, while removing economic, social and other barriers to public access to culture.
The SNFCC’s music programming reflects our firm belief that music has no beginning nor end; it knows no limits nor boundaries. To this effect, SNFCC showcases a wide range of Greek music genres and artists, presenting a curated selection of both acclaimed performers and emerging artists of different generations and traditions, and demonstrating how the many facets of music reflect the diversity in our lives.
SNFCC has developed a range of music series, each focusing on a different genre and style:
- Music Escapades introduces emerging young artists from the contemporary Greek alternative music scene
- Jazz Chronicles showcases the unexplored wealth of the Greek jazz scene
- Inspired by Susumu Shingu's eponymous sculpture suspended from the ceiling at the GNO’s Stavros Niarchos Hall, Cosmos concert series explores different musical universes
- Parklife concerts on the Great Lawn fill Stavros Niarchos Park with music, providing a wonderful opportunity for visitors to enjoy art in a natural setting
- Microclimata combines Greek experimental music acts and specific areas in the Stavros Niarchos Park or the SNFCC, creating live audiovisual installations that evoke different moods and ambiances
- SNFCC Sessions provide a showcase of artists through panel discussions and concerts
These series are augmented by a host of individual concerts, pop-up concerts and other music events.
In 2017, 50 major concerts were organized at the SNFCC.
- From the very beginning, the SNFCC established Park Your Cinema and Park Your Cinema Kids – two series of open-air screenings at the Stavros Niarchos Park, the Stavros Niarchos Hall, the Lighthouse and other locations
- Moreover, tributes to great filmmakers, such as Nikos Nikolaidis and Michelangelo Antonioni, are regularly organized
- Social Ballroom is a winning combination of dance workshops and parties exploring different dance styles each time. In 2017, ten events were organized, attended by thousands of aspiring dancers of all ages
- Also on offer are classical ballet and contemporary dance performances by young artists
- In November 2017, Parabases – SNFCC’s Rehearsed Readings were inaugurated, with tributes to Nikos Kazantzakis and George Seferis; they continued to great acclaim in 2018
- At the same time, major productions, including Kunqu Opera from China and Cassandra, featuring Fanny Ardant, were staged at the Stavros Niarchos Hall
- Hosted in collaboration with the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, Piece by Piece, the Renzo Piano Building Workshop retrospective exhibition, attracted 105,000 visitors
- Temporary art exhibitions are often hosted, including Yannis Moralis – Christos Capralos: A Friendship in Life and Art, in collaboration with the National Gallery – Alexandros Soutsos Museum, and Forms & Contradictions by the sculptor Sophia Vari