The labyrinth as a design motif is a symbol of unity and convergence to a central focal point. Dating from 1500 BC, the earliest mention was found on a clay slab discovered near Knossos; in mythology, Ariadne helped Theseus by giving him a ball of thread to help him find his way out of the Minotaur's labyrinth. The labyrinth has been used as a motif for public and dancing ceremonies in Greece, and it also appears on ancient Greek coins.
The SNFCC Labyrinth is an integral part of the Stavros Niarchos Park. Planted with grass and surrounded by olive trees, it is a lush, peaceful circular area, where visitors arrive following the Western Walks. These natural qualities, enhanced by its location in a relatively isolated, elevated part of the Park, make for an ideal setting for escaping from the rush of everyday life. Unlike the three-dimensional labyrinths aimed at disorientation, in the SNFCC’s one-dimensional labyrinth there is only one trail, leading to its center. The Labyrinth invites visitors to walk on it and spend some time in serene reflection.