Discover the world of collage through the way iconic hero figures are portrayed in contemporary poetry and literature.
Participants explore the history and variations of the technique of collage, from China and the invention of paper 2,000 years ago, up until the present day.
In the final session of this workshop series, we will explore the figure of the everyday hero, each and every one of us, the hero who falls and rises up again, as conveyed in contemporary poetry and literature.
We will pay particular attention to the great post-war poems of Sbigniew Herbert and Zoe Karelle, which take on the archetypal Hamlet to bring to the fore a secondary figure of the Shakespearean tradition, the prosaic, anti-heroic Fortinbras.
We will create a new collage-poem, juxtaposing contrasting images to illustrate the tenacity of life and creation.
Design - Implementation: Maro Michalakakou, Visual Artist
Literary support: Maria Topali, Poet, Translator, Critic
Up to 22 participants
Free participation through online pre-registration
Pre-registration starts on Wednesday 02/06 at 12.00
Participants will receive a list of recommended materials in advance of the workshop.
Participant safety information:
- The use of a non-medical face mask is mandatory for participants with the exception of people with respiratory problems for whom the mask is not indicated for reasons proven by medical records.
- Participants are advised to use hand sanitizer, and maintain safety distances in accordance with guidelines and signage.
- Single-use Personal Safety Equipment (gloves, masks, etc.) must be discarded immediately after use in the yellow bins provided.
- The shared use of objects (pencils, pens, papers, books, etc.) should be avoided.
- Participants are also advised to bring mosquito-repellent.
The use of face mask and social distancing measures are mandatory in indoor and outdoor areas of the SNFCC, in accordance with Hellenic National Public Health Organization regulations.
Due to public health measures, there may be changes regarding either the staging of the event, or the maximum number of participants.
The themed events programming Faces of the Hero is realized thanks to the exclusive grant by Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF).